Thank you for participating in Project Make It. Here you will find your daily class information. More non-class specific information can be found at www.projectmakeit.org.
MD Summer 2020 Day 2
- Registration Forms/Pretest if not finished them to yesterday
- Orient them to the websites as needed
- Continue to formulate ideas about themes and ideas for the project.
Materials Needed: Name tags, microbit with programming cord, and battery pack. Servos, motors, alligator clips. Computers, screen or projector to watch directions.
Lesson Plan Overview:
- Finish anything from yesterday as needed. Review/Discuss as needed.
- Brainstorm, what do they know about coding. https://careerkarma.com/blog/what-is-coding-used-for/ basics of codingObama inspiration video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=69&v=6XvmhE1J9PY&feature=emb_logo
- Pass out Microbits, programming cord to each computer group. Have them go to https://makecode.microbit.org/ and start going through tutorials. Start with blinking heart, when they try to download they will most likely need a firmware update. It will give directions, see if they can follow directions on how to do it.
- After they have completed the blinking heart go to the dice and rock paper scissor challenges
- If they complete this, pass out a cricket to each group. Go over how to gently slide it in. Next challenge will be to try and move a servo motor with the cricket. They will need to add an extension to the makecode page from https://www.projectmakeit.org/using-the-crickit/
- If any get this far their next challenge will be to make the circular motion turn into linear motion. Video on links https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjUbwBJoV1U
This will continue into next day. If any kids have extra time continue to familiarize themselves with the projectmakeit.org website, research ideas for golf hole.