Your Community from Above
Designed to connect high school students to our growing geospatial community, students will design and build high altitude weather balloons. Starting with their block in St. Louis and going all the way into space, the balloon vehicles will be launched at various altitudes, capturing images and data. The kids will then stitch the data and images together to create a picture of their world. When testing is done they can launch their balloon to the stratosphere and we’ll attempt to recover it and the data when it lands back on earth.
Pilot project. We are accepting applications from one organization for 1 team of 3-4 students.
- Build & launch high altitude weather balloons completed in about 24 hours (1 day a week, ~2 hours per day for 12 weeks).
- Grades 9-11
- Teams are made up of 3-4 students and each team will launch a balloon
- launched at various altitudes, capturing images and data
- Students stitch the data and images together
- Any STL area program is eligible to participate – all they need are 3 kids.